ORGANIC OR CHEMICALLY MODIFIED?

Organic products are often perceived as “expensive” and “high-end”. However, the alternative could be a lot worse – pesticides, chemicals and herbicides are just some examples of the substances you might find in processed foods.

In order to meet growing population demands, food products are increasingly mass produced and designed to have longer shelf lives. Because of this mass production, the quality of the final product often suffers.

Consumers no longer know what additives, chemicals and preservatives go into the food that they consume on a daily basis. This poses significant health risks to the families of consumers when the food that’s on their shelves contain a multitude of chemicals designed to make it last longer while sacrificing most of the nutritional ingredients that should form the staple of our diets.

Organic food is grown naturally and harvested in a sustainable and eco-friendly way to ensure its high quality and wholesome benefits.

The choice as they say, is yours. Remember, you are what you eat! 

 

ORGANIC DEFINED

Organic food is produced according to best practices that comply with the most rigorous standards of organic farming . These standards  may vary worldwide, but organic food production  in general follows practices that aim to conserve resources, promote ecological balance, and promote biodiversity. Organizations regulating organic products may restrict the use of certain pesticides and fertilizers in farming. In general, organic foods are not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents or synthetic food additives. Before a food product can carry the label “Organic”, it has to be certified by a 3rd party company / organization (USDA / EU Cert / Eco Cert / One Cert / JAS / Oko-Garantie / and others) before it can be marketed and sold to the general population.

The USDA National Organic Program (NOP) defines the term “organic” as follows:

Organic food is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations. Organic food is produced without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation. Before a product can be labeled "organic," a Government-approved certifier inspects the farm where the food is grown to make sure the farmer is following all the rules necessary to meet USDA organic standards.

 

HOW DO I KNOW IF SOMETHING IS ORGANIC?

The USDA has identified for three categories of labeling organic products:



100% Organic: Made with 100% organic ingredients

Organic: Made with at least 95% organic ingredients

Made With Organic Ingredients: Made with a minimum of 70% organic ingredients with strict restrictions on the remaining 30% including no GMOs (genetically modified organisms)

Products with less than 70% organic ingredients may list organically produced ingredients on the side panel of the package, but may not make any organic claims on the front of the package.

 

The Love Earth Guarantee: When we label products as “Organic”, we have the full range of valid Organic Certifications for that particular product. Apart from organic products, you will also find products in our range that are classified as “Natural”. This is due to the fact that certain products cannot be classified as organic because of the base ingredients that particular product contains. (Example: Seaweed / Sea salt – products such as these cannot be categorized as Organic because its main ingredients are found in the sea and cannot be certified by the appropriate organizations and regulatory bodies). All our products that have been labeled “Natural” do not contain any additives or chemicals and are produced in small batches to ensure the proper quality checks are put into place before reaching our customers.  


 

WHY DOES ORGANIC COST MORE?

Most organic food production happens overseas due to more favorable conditions and climates. Malaysia is a limited producer of organic products which explains why most of the organic items we find in supermarkets or grocery stores are generally imported.

Many organic farming initiatives overseas do not receive the same level of government support and subsidies that conventional farming operations do. To add to the challenge, organic farming is significantly more labor and management intensive. Organic farms are also smaller than conventional farms and do not benefit from the savings that other economies of scale enjoy.

The price of the final organic product is therefore reflective of the process and challenges that go into making a healthy, nutritious and safe alternative to the processed and chemically modified food products that you usually find on shelves.

The price may be higher, but the benefits to both your body and the environment as a whole have made organic products worth the investment. 

 

WHY ORGANIC?

  1. Reducing Toxicity in the Environment
    Organic practices help keep Chemicals Out of the Air, Water, Soil and our Bodies.
    Buying organic food promotes a less toxic environment for all living beings in the ecosystem. With only 0.5 percent of crop and pasture lands classified as organic according to USDA, this leaves 99.5 percent of farms in the U.S. at high risk of exposure to noxious agricultural chemicals. Supporting organic agriculture benefits both our bodies and the earth we grow these products from.

     
  2. Reduce and Eliminate Off Farm Pollution 
    Industrial farming practices pollute farmlands and this trickles into the entire downstream ecosystem affecting both flora and fauna. Pesticide drift affects non-farm communities with odorless and invisible poisons. Synthetic fertilizers drifting downstream are the main culprit for dead zones in delicate ocean environments such as the Gulf of Mexico.

     
  3. Protect Future Generations 
    Before a newly born baby can be nursed by its mother, the toxic risk from pesticides has already begun to affect it. Studies show that infants are exposed to hundreds of harmful chemicals in utero. In fact, our nation is now reaping the results of four generations of exposure to agricultural and industrial chemicals, whose safety standards were in accordance with adult tolerance levels, not children’s. According to the National Academy of Science, “neurologic and behavioral effects may result from low-level exposure to pesticides.” Numerous studies show that pesticides can adversely affect the nervous system, increase the risk of cancer, and decrease fertility.

     
  4. Better Taste and Truer Flavor 
    Scientists now know what organic advocates have known all along: organic food simply tastes better. It makes sense that strawberries taste yummier when raised in harmony with nature, but researchers at Washington State University proved this as fact in lab taste trials where the organic berries were consistently judged as sweeter. Plus, new research verifies that organic produce is lower in nitrates and higher in antioxidants than conventional food.

     
  5. Avoid Poor Science in Your Food 
    Cloned foods. GMOs. rBGH.. Eleven years ago, genetically modified food was nowhere to be seen in our food supply. Today, an astounding 30% of our crops grow genetically modified produce.. Organic certified products are becoming the last line of defense against these and other modern, lab-produced additions to our food supply.